Having the right shampoo for your hair type can make all the difference in how healthy and shiny your locks look. If you’re dealing with low porosity or low-processed hair, it pays to be extra cautious when choosing a suitable shampoo.
This is because many of the shampoos that are available tend to leave residues on these types of strands, making them limp and dull looking. Luckily though, there are some amazing options out there that can help maintain hydration levels while also delivering superior cleansing benefits.
In this blog post we will be going over 9 must have shampoos for those with low porosity hair giving you everything needed to keep your mane in tip top shape!
- 4 secret tips on how to make curls last longer without hairspray
- The useful answer to the question “How fast does armpit hair grow?
- What Hair Color Makes You Look Younger?
What Is Low-Porosity Hair?
Low-porosity hair refers to strands that have tightly bound cuticles, making them resistant to water and products. They are often accompanied by dryness, breakage and a lack of shine. This is why it’s so important to find the right shampoo for low-porosity hair – one that will cleanse without stripping away the natural oils and moisture.
The Types of Shampoo for Low-Porosity Hair
- Clarifying Shampoos: If you’re dealing with product build-up, a clarifying shampoo can be your best friend. These are designed to deep clean the hair and help remove any excess oils, dirt or debris that have accumulated in the cuticles of your strands.
- Moisturizing Shampoos: Low porosity hair is often very dry, so it’s important to find a shampoo that will add moisture and hydration. Moisturizing shampoos are formulated with hydrating ingredients like coconut oil, shea butter and aloe vera to help nourish the scalp and strands.
- Co-Washing Shampoos: If you want to cleanse without stripping away too much of the natural oils or moisture, co-washing is a great option. These shampoos are designed to gently wash and nourish low porosity hair while also helping to control frizz.
- Protein Shampoos: Low porosity hair can often be prone to breakage, making it important to use a shampoo that contains proteins. These work to strengthen the hair and help prevent damage from occurring.
- Sulphate-Free Shampoos: If you’re looking for something even gentler than co-washing or clarifying shampoos, then sulphate-free shampoos are a great choice. They help to cleanse the hair without stripping away its natural oils or moisture.
- Conditioning Shampoos: For those with low porosity hair, it pays to find a shampoo that contains conditioning agents as well. This will help your locks stay healthy and hydrated, while also helping to control frizz and flyaways.
- Volumizing Shampoos: Low porosity hair can often lack volume, making it important to use a volumizing shampoo to help give your tresses a boost of body. These are formulated with ingredients that target the roots and help create fullness and bounce.
- Micellar Shampoos: Micellar shampoos are great for those with low porosity hair, as they help to draw out dirt and impurities without stripping away the natural oils or moisture. They also contain conditioning agents that help nourish the strands and make them look healthier.
- Color-Safe Shampoos: For those with dyed hair, it’s important to find a color-safe shampoo that won’t strip away the dye or cause fading. These types of shampoos are formulated with ingredients that help to protect and condition colored strands.
9 Good Shampoo For Low Porosity Hair
- SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen & Restore Shampoo – This shampoo is perfect for low porosity hair as it helps improve elasticity and fights frizz while restoring shine to your strands. It also helps strengthen the scalp and nourish damaged cuticles.
- DevaCurl Low-Poo Delight – This gentle, sulfate-free shampoo is specially formulated to be lightweight and nourish low porosity hair. It helps keep your locks hydrated, helps prevent damage and breakage, and provides lasting softness.
- PHYTO Phytoplage Protective Shampoo – Another great option for low porosity hair, this shampoo helps protect your hair from harsh environmental factors. It cleanses gently and effectively while also providing nourishment for softness and shine.
- Briogeo Blossom & Bloom Ginseng + Biotin Volumizing Shampoo – This volumizing shampoo is great for boosting body in low porosity hair as it helps to lift the roots and provide natural movement. It is also sulfate-free, paraben-free, and silicone-free, making it perfect for those with sensitive scalps.
- DevaCurl No Poo Decadence – This ultra nourishing cleanser helps to hydrate while delivering gentle cleansing benefits to low porosity hair. It helps to prevent breakage and restore strength to the strands, leaving your hair feeling soft and looking incredibly shiny.
- Moroccanoil Moisture Repair Shampoo – This shampoo is perfect for those with dry, damaged hair as it helps to restore moisture and elasticity. It is formulated with nourishing argan oil that helps to deeply hydrate while also strengthening the hair strands.
- Kérastase Resistance Bain Force Architecte – This shampoo helps to strengthen and restore low porosity hair, while also providing protection against heat damage. It contains ingredients that help to rebuild the hair’s protective layer and leave it looking healthy and strong.
- Olaplex No. 4 Bond Maintenance Shampoo – This nourishing shampoo helps to repair damaged strands while preventing breakage, making it perfect for those with low porosity hair. It helps to rebuild the hair’s structure and improve elasticity, while also protecting against future damage.
- Amika Reset Pink Charcoal Clarifying Shampoo – This clarifying shampoo is ideal for cleansing low porosity hair as it helps to remove build up without stripping away its natural oils. It also helps to deeply hydrate and restore softness, leaving your hair looking and feeling amazing.
Q: What is the best shampoo for low porosity hair?
A: The best shampoo for low porosity hair would depend on your personal preferences and needs. Some great options are SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen & Restore Shampoo, DevaCurl Low-Poo Delight, PHYTO Phytoplage Protective Shampoo, and Briogeo Blossom & Bloom Ginseng + Biotin Volumizing Shampoo.
Q: How do I know if my hair is low porosity?
A: Low porosity hair typically feels dry, looks dull, and has difficulty absorbing moisture. It can be identified by taking the “strand test” – running a strand of your hair between two fingers to see how easily it slides. If it slides slowly or gets stuck, then you likely have low porosity hair.
Q: What ingredients should I look for in shampoos for low porosity hair?
A: When looking for a shampoo for low porosity hair, look for ingredients such as argan oil, coconut oil, shea butter, and proteins that will help to nourish and strengthen the strands. Avoid shampoos with sulfates or harsh detergents as these can strip away natural oils.
Q: Are there any special techniques I should use when washing my low porosity hair?
A: Yes! For optimal results, it is important to use warm water as this helps open up the cuticles on your hair strands so they can absorb products better. Also ensure to thoroughly massage your scalp during washing as this helps stimulate blood flow and increases product absorption. Additionally, make sure to use a wide-tooth comb when detangling instead of a brush as this will help to reduce breakage. Finally, be sure to follow up with a deep conditioning treatment after shampooing.
Q: How often should I wash my low porosity hair?
A: Generally speaking, individuals with low porosity hair should aim to wash their hair no more than two to three times per week. This is because low porosity hair tends to have difficulty absorbing products and can easily become over-stripped of its natural oils if it is washed too frequently. Therefore, when washing your hair, make sure to use the right products for your specific needs and always follow up with a deep conditioner.
Q: Can I use heat styling tools on my low porosity hair?
A: Yes, but it is important to be mindful of the temperature you are using and always use a heat protectant product prior to using any hot tools. Additionally, make sure to limit your heat usage as much as possible in order to avoid damage. Finally, try to allow your hair air dry instead of using a blow-dryer whenever possible.
No matter what type of low porosity hair you have, these five must-have shampoos can help keep it healthy and hydrated while providing superior cleansing benefits. With regular use, your locks will be looking their finest in no time!
Remember to always consider the porosity of your hair when choosing a shampoo as it can make all the difference in how healthy and well-maintained your tresses look. With these five must have shampoos, you will be sure to keep your mane looking its best and feeling soft and hydrated!
I am Thomas Taw, the CEO of CITIZENSNIPS. I have experience in hair product development and chemical research, as well as sustainable resource engineering. In 2009, I co-created Sunsilk, one of the world's leading haircare brands. More recently, I was the CEO of SMOKINGPANDA LTD. I am a professional with a strong track record in delivering tangible results. Full his bio.