Growing hair is a complicated work, both for men and women. Having hair growing in different directions could be a very irritating problem. The multiple hair-growing directions pose a challenge when you style your hair or, for men, when they shave beards.
How does hair grow and why does hair grow in different directions?
How does hair grow?
According to AAD (American Academy of Dermatology), hair grows out of little pockets in your skin, called follicles. Hair development cycle goes through 4 stages: ((Cold, F., Health, E., Disease, H. and Disea, L. (2016). Drugs & Medications. [online] Webmd.com. Available at: https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-8253/sodium-hypochlorite/details[Accessed 23 Feb. 2019].))
- Your hair begins growing from a root in the bottom of the follicle. The root is made up of cells of protein.
- Blood from the blood vessels in your scalp feeds the root, which creates more cells and makes the hair grow.
- The hair gets pushed up through the skin as it grows, passing an oil gland along the way. The oil gland adds oil to the hair and keeps it shiny and soft. It can make it greasy, too. That’s why you need to wash your hair.
- The hair dies by the time it is long enough to poke out through the skin. Yes, hair is dead. That’s why it doesn’t hurt to get a haircut.
Hair-growing direction is natural-born – a kind of genetic legacy. The direction of your hair is even decided before you were born.
There are three parts of hair which will determine your hair directions: angle to skins (below the skin), direction (where the tip points) and tilt. When you were just a womb, your hair follicles have been formed, and it grows at an angle to the skin. It is universally known that everyone has a different, or more accurately, an unique hair-growing pattern.
What happens under your skins seems to be unchangeable: In most case, you could not intervene in which pattern it will grow. We have nothing to do with the directions of hair. What’s left to do is to cover it or make it look neat and nice. Here is the detailed plan for you to train your hair to get into a certain direction.
Head hair growing in different directions
Step 1: Dampen your hair by using a water spray bottle (You should not soak your hair or make it completely wet.) Or you can also start your “training” right after you finish showering.
Step 2: Section the hair that you will have to work to adjust the direction. Comb your hair into the direction as you desire. If your hair could settle in the new direction without converting back to its original direction, water alone is enough to do the job.
But if your hair is so resilient and keeps moving back, you might need the help of hair gel or styling mousse ((https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_mousse)). Put the product on your comb and start running it in the direction that you want.
Step 3: Keep your hair at that place/direction as long as possible. When you are sleeping, you might unconsciously ruin the work. Therefore, avoid sleeping on the portion that you are working on.
Step 4: You have to be aware that the progress must be repeated regularly. You must follow this procedure on the daily basis until your hair naturally gets into the way that you want.
These steps could be applied to head hair growing in different directions. So, how about beard hair which also grows unruly in men?
- See more: How to hide your short hair under extension
- See more: Best way to wear hair to bed to prevent breakage
- See more: Step-by-step guideline on how to trim your hair
Beard hair growing in different directions
Having a beard which grows in different directions is an irritating problem for men. It not only makes your beard looks messy but also challenges your shaving. Shaving against the grain is damaging as it could lead to ingrown hairs – the main cause of swelling razor bumps. You have better observe the growing directions of hair in order to plan a suitable shaving strategy.
Even though there is little hope of converting the growing directions of your beard hair, you can, at least, do something make it look as manageable as possible. The following tips will guide you to handle your unruly beard.
- Keep your beard moisturized. Oil and moisture could make your beard, instead of growing rebelliously, more manageable and move in your desired directions and shapes. Avoiding washing your beard on the daily basis is one way to maintain the natural oil of your hair. Besides, conditioning is needed in order to supply enough moisture for your beard. Beard balm, waxing and beard oil could also be used as effective care products to nurture beard oil.
- Comb your beard frequently. Combing in order to attain a better-looking hair is a highly-recommended solution. It is a perfect timing that you can do this right after taking shower.
However, if all of the tips could not work well in your own case, here is the final solution: you could just wait until your hair reaches a certain stage in which the hair goes straight down due to hair’s weight and settles itself.
Hair growing in different directions is a common trait among people. The direction pattern also varies from person to person. Besides, as the growing direction of your hair is genetically determined, it is impossible to turn the tables.
During your hair-growing time, have you ever noticed the directions in which your hair grows? For some people, their hair has no consistent growing directions. For example, a beard, in one part, grows straight down, but in other parts, it just moves upward. All the reason above lay bare one thing: You should not be unhappy about something beyond your control like this. Instead, you can keep trying some of the suggestions mentioned above to get a more manageable, beautiful and desirable hair.
For more tips on how to take care of your hair extension and many other useful tips about hair care on, please check out our blog. If you want to ask more about our hair extension product, connect us by phone, email, and Facebook page.
- Does shaving beards change the direction of my hair growth?
As mentioned above, hair follicles are pre-formed, mostly due to genetics and are not affected by shaving.
- Is there any other reason that affects the growth of the beard?
There are a number of causes that adversely affect the development of beards such as:
– Staying up late often will prevent new beard changing (when sleeping, old whiskers will lose and form new whiskers that replace very quickly).
– Drinking a lot of alcohol, beer and smoking cause obstruction of toxic hair follicles and smoke, which weakens the beard and loses it.
– Drinking less water will slow the growth of beard
– The decline of male testosterone, affects the formation of beards.
IVIRGO HAIR TRADING AND INVESTMENT JOINT STOCK COMPANY – REMY HAIR EXTENSIONS
Add: 403, Floor 4, No 87/165 Xuan Thuy Str ( Tran Quoc Vuong), Cau Giay Dist, Hanoi, Vietnam
Phone(whatsapp, viber, Line, skype): +84 968 509 490
Source: Wholesale Hair Vendors – Virgin Hair Distributors/ Manufacturer – Hair Extensions Supplier