When it comes to hair beauty, hair extensions are necessary for women to have a dynamic and vibrant look. When you invest your money in a beauty product, you need to ensure the hair extension is worth your money, allowing you to use its versatility.
Hair extensions can be your valuable asset, so the first question should be about their quality and longevity. So, how long do hair extensions last? Let’s jump straight to the article!
How Long Do Hair Extensions Last?
Hair extensions can typically last from six months to one year, depending on your hair extension grades and hair care routine. Understanding them will help you before applying them to your natural hair.
1. FUSION/PRE-BONDED HAIR EXTENSIONS
Hair stylists apply for fusion/pre-bonded hair extensions on your hair using glue or tape on hair roots. Customers can have voluminous and bouncy hair extensions with this installation method at an affordable price.
Depending on the installation process and customers’ hair care method, this hair extension type can last from 3 to 4 months. Excessive heat and improper hair washing are two main reasons for shortening its longevity.
Using expensive shampoo or conditioner on fusion/pre-bonded hair extensions is unnecessary. You can use regular shampoo but with different methods.
Instead of applying shampoo and overwashing the hair extensions, you can gently use shampoo and rinse them under warm water at least once a week.
2. TAPE IN HAIR EXTENSIONS
As its name suggests, hair stylists use tape to apply tape hair extensions to your natural hair. The installation process doesn’t require high temperatures or chemical treatment, which becomes its selling point.
Tape-in hair extensions can attach to your natural hair for 4 to 8 weeks. You need to replace the tape and use the extension times with the proper method.
Generally, the tape will gradually loosen if you imply intense pressure or tighten the extension too high. Don’t worry because hair stylists can replace the tape within minutes and give you a fresh look.
The way you wash and comb your hair extensions will decide their longevity. Remember to wait for at least two days after the installation, as the adhesive needs time to adhere to your natural hair.
It would be best if you didn’t comb the hair extensions during use when they get wet. This will loosen the tape and scratch the hair surface significantly. As a result, you can reuse the degraded tape-in hair extensions.
3. SEW-IN HAIR EXTENSIONS
You need to braid a cornrow into your natural hair; then, hair stylists will sew the hair extensions onto the braids if you want to experience sew-in hair extensions.
Even though the installation is complicated, this hair extension type can last for 6 to 8 weeks on your natural hair. After this time, you can redesign and reuse them according to your preferences.
To maintain the sew-in attachments, you should moisturize the scalp and hair extension using conditioner twice a week. Avoid using shampoo with high-concentration silicone, as it will make the braids tangle and matting.
4. CLIP-IN HAIR EXTENSIONS
Clip-in hair extensions can satisfy your requirements if you are looking for a hair extension type with decent longevity at a medium price. The hair extension has special clips that attach to the base of your natural hair.
The clip-in hair extension allows users to wear and remove it within minutes, allowing customers to maintain them effortlessly. It’s not surprising that customers can retain their top condition for between 3 to 6 months.
The critical factor in maintaining the hair extensions’ beauty lies in the way you remove it. The gentler you remove the clip-in hair extensions, the better it is for the attachments.
When you try to remove the hair extension carelessly, you loosen the connection between the base and strands. Over time, strands from extensions will shed, making the products thinner.
Since users can remove the hair extensions and store them while sleeping, correctly storing them can make them last longer.
You should brush the hair extensions after removing them from your natural hair, add supplement products, and store them in a box. When in use, this shields the hair extension from dirt and sunlight.
5. MICRO LINKS
Microlinks’ installation method is similar to sew-in hair extensions but doesn’t require complicated steps. Hair stylists will take a small section of your hair and attach the weft without using adhesive or heat.
The typical longevity of micro-links is between 3 to 4 months, depending on the washing method. You can apply shampoo on the scalp and massage between the micro links. The shampoo will cleanse dust clung to them.
Factors Affecting The Lifespan Of Hair Extensions
Factors affecting the lifespan of hair extensions can vary depending on the type of hair extensions (human hair or synthetic hair), the installation method used, and the level of maintenance and care provided. Here are some key factors that can influence the longevity of hair extensions:
1. Quality of hair extensions: The quality of the hair used for extensions plays a significant role in their lifespan. Human hair extensions sourced from reputable suppliers tend to last longer than lower-quality options. High-quality hair extensions are less prone to tangling, shedding, and breakage, and they can withstand styling and heat better.
2. Installation method: The method used to install the hair extensions can impact their durability. Different techniques such as sew-in, tape-in, fusion, or clip-in have varying effects on the lifespan of extensions. Proper installation by an experienced professional using appropriate products and tools is crucial for maintaining the longevity of hair extensions.
3. Maintenance and care: How well hair extensions are cared for and maintained greatly affects their lifespan. Regular washing and conditioning using suitable products, gentle brushing techniques, and avoiding excessive heat or chemical treatments can significantly extend the longevity of extensions. Additionally, following recommended maintenance routines, such as using specialized brushes and detangling products, can help prevent tangling and matting.
4. Lifestyle and activities: Individual lifestyle and activities can impact the lifespan of hair extensions. Excessive exposure to chlorine or saltwater, prolonged sun exposure, or frequent intense physical activities can cause damage to the extensions. It is important to take precautions and protect the extensions from harsh environments or activities that may compromise their integrity.
5. Frequency of use: The frequency of wearing hair extensions can influence their lifespan. Extensions that are worn daily may experience more wear and tear compared to those worn occasionally. Limiting excessive use and giving the extensions breaks can help maintain their condition and prolong their lifespan.
6. Professional maintenance and care: Regular maintenance appointments with a professional stylist can help ensure that the extensions are in good condition. Professionals can assess the extensions, make any necessary adjustments, and provide expert advice on proper care techniques and products.
By considering these factors and implementing appropriate care and maintenance practices, individuals can maximize the lifespan of their hair extensions and enjoy them for an extended period of time.
Average Lifespan Of Different Types Of Hair Extensions
The average lifespan of different types of hair extensions can vary depending on factors such as quality, installation method, maintenance, and care. Here is a general overview of the average lifespan of two common types of hair extensions:
1. Human hair extensions:
- Duration: Human hair extensions typically have a longer lifespan compared to synthetic hair extensions.
- Average lifespan: With proper care and maintenance, human hair extensions can last anywhere from 6 months to 1 year or even longer.
- Factors affecting lifespan: The quality of the human hair used, the installation method, and the level of maintenance and care provided can impact the lifespan of human hair extensions. High-quality human hair extensions that are well cared for tend to last longer.
2. Synthetic hair extensions:
- Duration: Synthetic hair extensions are made from synthetic fibers and are not as durable as human hair.
- Average lifespan: On average, synthetic hair extensions can last between 1 to 3 months.
- Factors affecting lifespan: The quality of the synthetic fibers, the installation method, and the level of maintenance and care provided can affect the lifespan of synthetic hair extensions. Synthetic extensions are more prone to tangling, matting, and heat damage, so extra care is needed to maintain their condition.
It’s important to note that these are general guidelines, and individual experiences may vary. Factors such as the wearer’s lifestyle, styling practices, and the specific brand or product used can also influence the lifespan of hair extensions. Proper care, maintenance, and following manufacturer’s instructions are crucial in extending the lifespan of any type of hair extensions.
Signs That Indicate The Need For Hair Extensions Replacement
There are several signs that indicate the need for replacement of hair extensions. It’s important to pay attention to these signs to maintain a natural and healthy look. Here are some common signs that suggest it’s time to replace your hair extensions:
1. Changes in texture and appearance: Over time, hair extensions may start to lose their luster, become dull, or develop an unnatural texture. If the extensions no longer blend seamlessly with your natural hair or appear noticeably different, it may be time to replace them.
2. Tangling and matting: As hair extensions age, they can become more prone to tangling and matting. If you find that your hair extensions are constantly tangling and are difficult to comb or style, it’s a clear sign that they need to be replaced.
3. Shedding and breakage: Hair extensions may naturally shed a few strands over time, but excessive shedding or noticeable breakage indicates that the extensions are reaching the end of their lifespan. If you notice a significant amount of hair shedding from the extensions, it’s a sign that they should be replaced.
4. Difficulty in styling and managing: Hair extensions that have become unmanageable and difficult to style, even after proper care and maintenance, may need to be replaced. Extensions that no longer hold curls, fail to straighten properly, or lose their shape easily can indicate that they have reached their limit.
5. Uncomfortable or irritating to the scalp: As hair extensions age, they can become more uncomfortable or irritating to the scalp. This may be due to the adhesive or attachment method used, or simply because the extensions have become worn out. If you experience discomfort or scalp irritation that persists despite proper care, it’s a sign to consider replacing the extensions.
It’s important to note that the lifespan of hair extensions can vary depending on factors such as the quality of the extensions, installation method, and level of maintenance. However, if you notice any of these signs, it’s advisable to consult with a professional stylist or hair extension specialist to assess the condition of the extensions and determine if replacement is necessary.
Tips To Extend The Lifespan Of Hair Extensions
To extend the lifespan of hair extensions and keep them looking their best, here are some helpful tips:
1. Follow proper care and maintenance routines: Establish a regular care routine for your hair extensions. This includes gentle washing and conditioning with sulfate-free and extension-friendly products. Avoid using products that contain alcohol, as they can dry out the extensions. Be sure to rinse thoroughly and avoid excessive rubbing or tangling while washing.
2. Brush gently and regularly: Use a wide-toothed brush or a brush specifically designed for hair extensions to detangle your extensions. Start from the ends and work your way up to the roots, being careful not to pull or tug too hard. Brushing regularly helps prevent tangling and matting, which can lead to damage and reduce the lifespan of the extensions.
3. Protect extensions while sleeping: Before going to bed, gently brush your extensions and tie them in a loose braid or ponytail to prevent tangling. You can also use a silk or satin pillowcase or a sleep cap to minimize friction and protect the extensions while you sleep.
4. Use heat protectant products: If you use heat styling tools on your extensions, such as straighteners, curling irons, or blow dryers, always apply a heat protectant spray or serum to shield the hair from excessive heat damage. Using lower heat settings whenever possible can also help extend the lifespan of the extensions.
5. Avoid excessive heat and chemical treatments: While human hair extensions can withstand some heat and chemical treatments, excessive or frequent use of these can cause damage and reduce their lifespan. Limit the use of hot styling tools, such as curling irons and straighteners, and minimize chemical treatments, such as bleaching or coloring, to maintain the integrity of the hair extensions.
6. Be cautious in chlorinated or saltwater environments: Chlorine and saltwater can have detrimental effects on hair extensions. If you’re going swimming, wet your extensions with clean water before entering the pool or ocean. Afterward, rinse the extensions thoroughly with clean water to remove any chlorine or salt residue. You can also use a leave-in conditioner or protective oil to help combat dryness and damage caused by these environments.
7. Schedule regular maintenance appointments: Visit a professional stylist or salon for regular maintenance appointments. They can check the condition of your extensions, make any necessary adjustments or repairs, and provide expert advice on caring for and prolonging the lifespan of your extensions.
Remember, proper care, gentle handling, and using appropriate products are key to extending the lifespan of hair extensions. By following these tips, you can enjoy your extensions for a longer period while maintaining their natural look and quality.
How Often Do You Have To Get Micro Links Redone?
Depending on the average longevity from 3 to 4 months, you can redo this hair extension method. Your hair stylists will consider the condition of your hair extensions while deciding whether or not to replace the micro link completely.
Can You Keep A Sew In For 6 Months?
A sew-hair extension can last six months in good condition. However, the biggest issue is your natural hair, which will cause you to experience hair loss and matting while wearing it.
Your hair will continue to grow; sooner or later, it will mat beneath the braids. Not everyone can put up with the scratching sensation all day.
How Many Times Can You Wash Tape-In Extensions?
It would be best if you washed the tape-in hair extensions two times a week to retain their smooth and natural texture. The tapes adhering to your natural hair are typically produced to endure this.
After washing the hair extensions, dry them at a low temperature and apply conditioners for subsequent use.
The lifespan of hair extensions can vary depending on factors such as the type of extensions, quality of hair used, installation method, and maintenance. Generally, human hair extensions have a longer lifespan compared to synthetic hair extensions.
With proper care and maintenance, human hair extensions can last anywhere from 6 months to 1 year or even longer. On the other hand, synthetic hair extensions typically last between 1 to 3 months.
However, it’s important to note that individual experiences may vary. Factors such as the wearer’s lifestyle, styling practices, and the specific brand or product used can also influence the lifespan of hair extensions.
By following recommended care routines, using suitable products, and seeking professional maintenance when needed, individuals can maximize the longevity of their hair extensions and enjoy them for an extended period.
I am Thomas Taw, the CEO of CITIZENSNIPS. I have experience in hair product development and chemical research, as well as sustainable resource engineering. In 2009, I co-created Sunsilk, one of the world's leading haircare brands. More recently, I was the CEO of SMOKINGPANDA LTD. I am a professional with a strong track record in delivering tangible results.