TV commercials for the Head & Shoulders shampoo are all too familiar to us. The manufacturer claims that their product can effectively prevent dandruff and itching, so this shampoo has been viral in many countries worldwide.
However, is the Head And Shoulders bad for your hair? If you are wondering about this problem, this article from Ivirgo Hair Vendors is for you.
Is The Head And Shoulders Bad For Your Hair?
The answer is No. Experts and many users have confirmed that the Head And Shoulders do not harm the user’s hair and scalp.
Like other regular shampoos, this product can remove dirt, oil, and sweat accumulated in your hair. It is a well-known anti-dandruff product. It prevents users from worrying about dandruff, even when they are active and sweat a lot.
Some people claim that when using this shampoo, their hair quickly becomes tangled and breaks easily. A few others report their hair thinning after a while.
To date, no scientific publication has enough evidence to prove that head and shoulders are harmful. On the contrary, the numerous product benefits are attested to by millions of users per year.
To clarify the anti-dandruff effects and disadvantages of this shampoo, we will cover its main chemical composition in the section below. Let’s check them out!
Ingredients In Head & Shoulders
Some people attribute its adverse effects to its ingredients. We will analyze the product’s ingredients in detail so you can better understand these chemicals.
The chemicals added to the solution to increase cleaning and prevent dandruff are controversial. In the composition of the Head & Shoulders, there are harmful chemicals that many people are aware of:
- SLES and SLS: These chemicals are primarily responsible for their ability to clean. They are also foaming ingredients. Their downside is that they reduce moisture and cause hair tangles.
- Methylisothiazolinone and Methylchloroisothiazolinone: These substances can inhibit harmful microorganisms from growing on the scalp. They prevent dandruff from developing and limit itchy scalp. However, they can easily cause allergies in users.
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine and Cocamide MEA: this ingredient helps create a soapy lather when you wash your hair. Because they contain alcohol radicals, they can damage hair.
- Dimethicone: It is a water-insoluble silicone that exists in shampoos to increase shine and shine. Its disadvantage is that it accumulates on the hair shaft and causes breakage.
- Synthetic fragrance: This ingredient creates a seductive scent for the shampoo. And most of these fragrances are alcohol-based, which can cause hair dryness and damage.
- These ingredients can be harmful to hair and the scalp. But since they exist in the product in the correct dosage, you don’t need to worry about their effects. These chemicals are small enough to remove dirt without causing your hair to tangle or break, as many people think.
Besides harmful ingredients, Head & Shoulders shampoo contains many elements that provide excellent hair care capabilities. Let’s take a look at the beneficial chemicals contained in this product:
- Zinc carbonate and Zinc pyrithione: These are the main ingredients to create the ability to prevent infection and minimize the growth of fungi and bacteria on the scalp. They help clear up and prevent dandruff from returning, which is the solution to your itchy scalp problem.
- Selenium Sulfide: This chemical compound can effectively balance pH. Thereby, it helps minimize sebum secretion on the scalp, nourishes the hair, and keeps it shiny and soft.
- Natural herbal extracts from mint and citrus fruits work to remove excess oil and dirt from your hair. So, this shampoo can give you long, smooth, and bouncy hair that is not greasy.
Do Head And Shoulders Cause Hair Loss?
No. Head & Shoulders shampoo cannot be the cause of hair loss. This product can stimulate growth, making hair grow faster and thicker.
Many factors lead to excessive hair loss and baldness. Usually, these problems only come from shampoos if you are allergic to their ingredients.
Many top hairstylists have supported the view that this shampoo has excellent potential for improving hair length and thickness.
If you do not stop hair loss while using Head & Shoulders shampoo, the first thing to do is to stop this action and consider adding more days. If items are still negative, get help from a specialist at a hospital or clinic.
Head And Shoulders Advantage
Many users and professionals highly recommend Head & Shoulders for its superior properties. It has a lot of benefits to convince you to use it daily.
The most outstanding advantages of the product that I can mention are:
- The ability to reduce itchy dandruff and overcome inflammation on the scalp
- Reduces oiliness, keeps hair shiny and bouncy
- Moisturizes hair and maintains pH neutral
- Nourishing, long, smooth, and healthy hair
- Prevent breakage
- Has the ability to improve existing hair damage
- Pleasant scent
How Often Should I Use Head And Shoulders 2-In-1 In My Hair?
With any shampoo, you need to have a method to use it properly. You should only wash your hair sometimes. The frequency of cleaning hair, about 2 to 3 times a week, is suitable for most people. Washing your hair too often can significantly cause hair damage and breakage.
Consult your dermatologist for more information if you are on treatment for dandruff or scalp infections. Professionals in the field of hairstyling can also give you helpful advice.
Is the Head And Shoulders bad for your hair? . The answer is No.
Although it contains controversial ingredients, their concentrations are not large enough to cause harm. On the other hand, some nutrients in this shampoo work very well in nourishing your hair.
You can rest assured when choosing and using Head & Shoulders shampoo for hair care. The product will improve the dandruff itching and inflammation.
I am Thomas Taw, the CEO of CITIZENSNIPS. I have experience in hair product development and chemical research, as well as sustainable resource engineering. In 2009, I co-created Sunsilk, one of the world's leading haircare brands. More recently, I was the CEO of SMOKINGPANDA LTD. I am a professional with a strong track record in delivering tangible results.