For people who always pay attention to style and take care of hair, texturizer is so familiar. However, there are many people who do not know what a texturizer is and “ what does a texturizer do ?” So, this post will give you all answers to these questions
What is a texturizer?
If you know, a relaxer is a type of lotion or cream which helps to straighten your curly hair chemically. Likewise, texturizer is the same. The difference between two products is that a texturizer is milder than a relaxer.
So, what does a texturizer do? A texturizer is also known as a texture softener. It is an ideal product for curly or kinky black hair because it can help users easily loosen the hair slightly instead of completely straightening like relaxer.
What does a texturizer do?
A texturizer has the ability to relax your hair. It also permanently change the structure if your hair. Chemicals including in a texturizer can change the structure of proteins in your hair. Keratin is the main protein found in the hair. It consists of an amino acid called cysteine that makes a contribution to your hair. When you apply texturizer to the hair, the hydrogen bonds in cysteine is going to broken, and that why your hair loosens gradually.
How long does it work?
The texturizer usually stays on the hair around 5 to 10 minutes, faster than a relaxer. Its result on the hair depends on the natural texture of each hair type. Particularly, it can work best for S-shaped curls or natural wavy hair. The chemistries on the Z-shaped curls are unpredictable, so people with Z-shaped curls are usually recommended to use a relaxer instead.
How to take care of the hair while using a texturizer?
To wash out the texturizer, you need to pick a neutralizing shampoo to finish the chemical process. Furthermore, the chemicals in a texturizer can slightly damage your hair. Therefore, if you want to be back to your natural hair texture, you need to cut off the damaged hair. Or you can use some hair care products as well. Take some regular protein treatments and deep conditioners to restore the moisture and also maintain the health of your hair.
Now, after learning about “what does a texturizer do” and the time it takes to process, let’s move on to the pros and cons of a texturizer.
Pros and cons
Everything has two sides, and so does a texturizer. Texturizer gives us a lot of benefits, but it also brings us some drawbacks as well. Now, I will give you both pros and cons of a texturizer so that you can make your own decision that if you should or should not use this product.
- Texturizer may be less damaging than relaxer because it is just left on your hair in a short period of time.
- Texturizer permits you to maintain your curl pattern in a looser form. It can even give bouncy curls and beautiful waves for other hair textures.
- With the aid of styling tools, a texturizer helps you to change from a wavy or curly texture into straight one.
- You will not need to worry too much about combining and detangling because texturizer can help you to style your hair easily.
Besides many advantages, there are still some negative points that are inevitable.
- There is a fact that texturizer may not work well for long hair. This product tends to be more suitable for short and medium-length hair.
- Because it eternally changes your hair, so it is not suitable for people wanting to change to all natural tresses
- Texturizer can lead your hair to damage and over processing because it has many kinds of chemicals.
What does a texturizer do to your hair? Besides doing our hair some favors, we also need to notice some things that can be caused by texturizer.
- Because of weakness results from chemicals, it is necessary to pay attention to treat your hair well. Remember to only gentle brush your hair to avoid breakage. Besides, regularly use moisturizer to hydrate and keep your hair moisturized enough by drinking a lot of fluids. In addition, individuals can use a neutralizing shampoo in order to bring the hair back to the natural pH and stop chemical process. Some neutralizing products consist of color change ingredients, so using these goods is an effective way to check if there is still lye on your hair or not. After washing, please remember to rinse your hair and apply deep conditioner to your hair to avoid excess drying and unwanted breakage.
- The chemicals including in texturizer can not only damage your hair but somehow it may also burn your skin and scalp. Therefore, following the instructions on the packaging is really essential so that you can make sure that you are using correctly. Checking the instructions also helps you to know how long the product should process. Moreover, perform a strand test before using texturizer can help to determine processing time.
- For sensitive scalp, just consider using chemicals or a “base” like petroleum jelly on the scalp or skin around the hair area
- Use plastic or latex gloves to prevent your hair from contacting to the chemicals physically
- Do not get the product in the eyes or use it on eyelashes or eyebrows
- Go to a hospital or make a appointment with a physician if you have a rash or burns from chemicals.
- Just remember that using chemical dyes in conjunction with texturizer can cause the damage to the hair.
Texturizers for different hair types
Now, I will introduce some kinds of texturizers that are suitable for each hair types. No matter what your hair type is, wavy or black straight hair, you will find your own products. And hopefully, after using these products, you can see “what does a texturizer do to your curly or African American hair or anything else”.
Klorane Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk
Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray
Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black Dry Shampoo
Dove Curls Defining Mousse
Tony & Guy Casual Sea Salt Spray
Dove Advanced Hair Series Quench Absolute Supreme Creme Serum
FORM Polish. Pomade
OGX Moroccan Argan Oil Weightless Healing Oil
That is the end of this article. I hope that after reading this article, you have know “ what does a texturizer do” and the above suggestions can help you partly in selecting the right texturizers for you. Many thanks for your attention!
I am Thomas Taw, the CEO of CITIZENSNIPS. I have experience in hair product development and chemical research, as well as sustainable resource engineering. In 2009, I co-created Sunsilk, one of the world's leading haircare brands. More recently, I was the CEO of SMOKINGPANDA LTD. I am a professional with a strong track record in delivering tangible results.